Friday, October 9, 2009

The Terrible Truth

One Day Postpartum
Horrified.

That's the feeling I got the first time I looked in the mirror. Postpartum depression? I certaintly feel something pressing. Maybe it's the button on the only pants I can squeeze myself into, the same pants I wore just days ago, at 210 pounds.
Okay, so I know it's not the end of the world, I know I can work this off! I mean, I've done it twice before, I can do it again...right?

Step on Scale.
More Horror... 180 pounds.

WHAT?!! You mean I didn't have 50 pounds worth of kid in there?!

Bummed.

Two Weeks Postpartum
Step on Scale.
Deep breath in, look down.
175 pounds!!!

Now this is a number I can deal with, where's my Nike's?! Excitment is starting to set in! Okay, shoe's on, heart rate monitor on, cell phone..fuwie it's dead, Nike +ipod...dang kids, ipod is dead!, okay no ipod. 9:10am, setting out for the trail, little stretch here, little there...and we're off! 9:12am, ouch!, oh man... that hurts! My back is killing me! This is not familiar to me, something is missing? Something...
OUCH! What is THAT?! Serious pain in my... OH, that's what's missing. The past 10 months have robbed me of my support structure! In other words, I HAVE NO AB'S!!!

Well, no wonder my back hurts! Okay, hold ab's in if possible, keep running. 1/2 mile marker in site, I can do this! 9:20am... where in the world is the next marker?! I'm DIEING! 9:26am finally, 1 mile marker is reached, okay turn around I'm halfway there.

Oh MAN! This is much harder than I remembered, much much harder! Wheeze, pant, cough cough cough, HACK!!! Okay, now I'm dieing for sure. Let's call home just incase I stop breathing... oh man, NO CELL PHONE! Let's just walk.

Ahhhh, back home. Wheeze, pant, INHALE...cough cough HACK! Colaspe.
Somewhat satitsfied.

Okay, so that was exactly what it was like doing my first postpartum run. I only ran 1ml and walked 1ml, but overall I feel pretty good that I got out and gave it a go. I now realize I have a long road ahead of me.

The pregnancy weight is coming off but my muscle tone is slow in coming. I'm excited to get back to it, but very nervous about the up and coming race!

Oh, and for those of you who don't know... Myself, my sister, my cousin's & my friend's are training to run the Del Sol Ragnar this Feburary! It's 212 miles from Prescott to Mesa, Arizona in 24 hours... divided between 12 crazy die hards! It promises to be the best and worst experiance of our running lives!

1 comment:

  1. Wow that one had me hysterically laughing...not at you -with you. I totally relate. I remember closing my eyes,concentrating hard to try to contract my abs. Nothing.it took me weeks to even feel them. Ugh. Laughing at ourselves us all we can do. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete